Frequently Asked Question
How to transfer a KEPServerEX V5, LinkMaster and RedundancyMaster License
Last Updated a year ago
KEPServerEX V5, LinkMaster, and RedundancyMaster software licenses are activated and transferred through a multi-step process that requires Internet and user access to the web-based My Kepware portal. For detailed instructions, expand the topics below.
- To start, open the License Utility on the host machine.
- KEPServerEX: Right-click on the KEPServerEX icon located in the System Tray and then select License Utility.
- RedundancyMaster: Open RedundancyMaster, and then click Help | License Application.
- LinkMaster: Open LinkMaster, and then click Help | License Application.
- In the drop-down list, select Manage Software Licenses and then click Next.
- Select Transfer a product activation and then click Next.
- In Select an Activation to Transfer, use the drop-down menu to select the product activation that will be transferred. This will update the products located in the list box with the features contained within the software license.
- Under Transfer the Activation File, click Save to File... in order to deactivate the license on the machine. Doing so means that the license rights will no longer be respected by the installed software. If the resulting transfer request file is not processed in the My Kepware portal, users will be unable to use the license
Note: Selecting this button will invoke the warning below. Click OK to continue.
Important: Users whose activation has a Support and Maintenance subscription will receive the warning shown below. Click OK to continue.
- The License Utility will display a file-browse dialog. Save the request file, making note of its location as it will be sent to the My Kepware portal in the next step.
Note: The default filename for the transfer request file is “transfer_request.txt.” Users can rename the file to ease license management, which may be especially helpful when transferring more than one product at one time.
Important: The transfer request file must be generated from the License Utility on the original host machine. An internet connection is required to complete the license transfer process. If the host machine that the active license is being transferred from does not have internet access, users must copy the transfer request file to a computer that does in order to log in to the My Kepware portal and upload the transfer request file.
- In an internet browser, navigate to the My Kepware portal at https://my.kepware.com/mykepware/. Returning users will be prompted to enter login information, whereas first-time users must create a My Kepware Account to continue.
- Once logged in, locate Product Licensing and Registration and then click Transfer License. To browse to the transfer request file previously saved, click Choose file. Once selected, click Open.
- Next, click Process Transfer Request.
Note: At this point, the transfer request file will be processed and a message will be displayed that indicates the license has been successfully stored in the online account. At this point, the transferred product is now available for activation on another machine.
Important: For information on limitations on activation transfers, please refer to the License Utilityproduct manual.